Saturday, March 23, 2013

As The World Spins

My life has been spinning lately.


Back in February (I think) I bought 4 ounces of wool roving from a LYS.  It was a mix of red, black and white.  I spun it up into 2 skeins.  Each skein is about 65 yards.  It is about 7 wpi.  I haven't swatched it yet.


It turned out lovelier than I expected.  The roving was coarse, but the final yarn is fairly soft.  It will work for a hat or mitts.  It might be a little too coarse for a cowl.  The shop was marketing the roving as Ohio State colors.  It has too much black in it for OSU.  If I am to make something collegiate with it, it will probably be for someone who attended/attends University of Cincinnati. 


 Below is 24 ounces of Blue-Faced Leicester roving I purchased from Webs.  It is from Ashland Bay and is a mix of natural and brown wool.  It is very soft.


It was a bit of an impulse buy.  When I saw the pattern Buttonbox in the latest edition of Knitty, I knew I wanted to make it.  Since it is a pattern for homespun, I thought I'd give it a try.  I'm probably being too ambitious.  I am still a novice spinner.  


While I'm showing roving, here is some black alpaca I bought last year.  I have 12 ounces of it.  I started spinning this on one of my drop spindles.  I don't know if I'll continue on the spindle or not.  I might transition this over to the wheel.


Now I have to pack up all of these goodies and clear out my dining room.  Ed is going to tear up the carpeting and install hardwood.  I'm hoping I can fit a walk outside into the day.  Today is forecasted to be nice but another winter storm is predicted for tomorrow.

No comments: