Sunday, September 10, 2017

Yarn Crawl 2017

Last year my friend and I participated in a yarn crawl throughout northeast Ohio.  This year we had planned to take part in the I-75 yarn crawl, but life got in the way.  We decided to hold our own over Labor Day weekend.  We visited 7 shops between Dayton and Cincinnati.

Our first stop took us to 2nd Street Public Market in downtown Dayton.    We were looking for an alpaca shop that was only open 3 days a week.  What we found was a market with full of different vendors, ranging from various foods to wood crafts.  This proved to be a very pleasant surprise.  We didn't buy any alpaca products there, but we did walk out with a huge pretzel, a loaf of artisan bread and natural skin products.  When I got home I promptly told my husband that we need to take a trip over there sometime.


The next stop was another shop in Downtown Dayton named Strings Attached.  It was a cute little shop with very friendly staff.  I picked up a Crazy Zauberball.


From there we headed south.  We attempted to visit a shop in Centerville, but found the place was not yet open for the day and had a "Going Out of Business" sign on the door.  So from there we headed further south to Springboro to visit Wooly Bully.

I had visited Wooly Bully a couple years ago and was impressed with the selection in the shop.  Cindy found some linen on the discount shelf that she couldn't pass up.  I found a set of bent double pointed needles to try.


While in Springboro we walked down a block to a cute boutique.  I couple shirts caused my credit card to jump out of my wallet.  Darn if I don't know how that happens!!

Lambiken's Hideaway in Hamilton was our next stop.  I've known about this shop for years but have never made it there.  There were several rooms to explore.  I came away with a couple skeins of  Villa.  This yarn is so soft and lovely.  It will someday become a cowl or scarf.


Silk Road was the next stop.  This is a hybrid yarn-fabric shop in northwest Cincinnati.  I found the cutest knit fabric that was imprinted with Charles Harper cardinals.  Charles Harper was an artist that lived in Cincinnati.  His art featured animals, sometimes in a comical setting.  The fabric was too cute to pass up and will become a long sleeved shirt for me.


In the picture above I also show some fabric that I will use to make another shirt.  The raccoon print was purchased at a shop in Columbus and was also too cute to pass up.

After a stop for lunch and a dash into Busken's Bakery, one of the things I miss by not living in Cincinnati anymore, we headed to Hank.  Hank was the yarn shop closest to the nursing home where my mom lived during her last 17 months.  I would stop there and pick up yarn for a project to knit while I sat with her.  This was Cindy's first visit there and I think she fell in love with it as much as I do.  I came away with two patterns and yarn to go with them.  First was a Laceball to make a Holey Scarf.


Second was Elite linen for Stonecrop Top.


Our last yarn stop was Fiber Optic.  There I picked up 4 ounces of an alpaca/silk blend.  It is going into my spinning stash.  I also picked up another spindle for my spinning wheel since most of my others are occupied.















No comments: