Saturday, December 1, 2018

The Cat Loves Yarn

This is my oldest brother Joe.  Joe is developmentally disabled.  After Mom died, he moved in with my sister Karen.  He spends his weekends between Karen's house and the homes of my other three siblings in Cincinnati.  He handles the transitions very well and loves being with the pets at each house.  He spent Thanksgiving week with us.   He particularly loves cats and wanted to hold Nala often.  She would tolerate it for about a minute and then jump away.  To be fair, Nala doesn't tolerate being held by anyone if they are sitting down.  Joe didn't seem to be offended when she jumped away.  He was very happy when she curled up on the ottoman by his feet.


I've asked the kids what kind of knitwear they want this year.  All of them didn't seem too enthusiastic with their response.  Trisha did ask for a headband.  I was able to bang it out quickly while watching television.  It was such an easy knit I might make a few more for friend gifts.  I did modify the patter slightly.  Notes are on my Ravelry project found here.


Since I'm not pressured to get any big projects done for the kids, I'm able to work on some of my own things.  I dove into the stash and pulled out the Color Changing Cotton that I bought in August at Stitches Midwest and cast on Bellrose.  Since the threads of this yarn are not plied I have a tendency to split the yarn but the more I work with it the easier it becomes to use.  The split problem occurs most on certain rows when the tension is tighter.  As far as this pattern goes, I love it!!  It is easy to follow and the sections demarcate my progress.  This will be a nice additions to my Spring wardrobe.


After the kids and Joe left on Sunday, Ed and I put up our outside Christmas lights.  For the past couple years we had not been able to have any outside illumination because of an electrical issue.  The issue got fixed a couple months ago.  The photo below is a little blurry but I love how bright the lights are.


Kristin decided before she left to leave Nala with us.  Nala does not like being in the car.  Kristin has only a couple more weeks of school for the semester and then is going to Chicago to visit friends for a few days before coming back home for Christmas break.  She felt it would be easier on Nala to just stay.  Nala is a very attention-seeking cat.  She doesn't let us do anything that does not involve watching and petting her.  Laying on keyboard is her way of making sure we are paying attention to her instead of working on the computer.  The only reason I am able to blog right now is because I tossed her on the floor.  She's now mad at me and pouting under the couch.  Given the look in her eyes I'm sure she's plotting her revenge on my yarn.


Speaking of her revenge, while I was out Thursday evening with friends, Ed wasn't paying enough attention to her so she got into on of my balls of yarn.  I found it wrapped around the furniture in the dining room.  I wished I had taken a picture but I was a bit annoyed that Ed didn't even notice what she was doing.  Last night I untangled the mess and wound the yarn into a ball.  She was fascinated with that yarn still so I decided to quickly crochet a little cat toy for her.  It ended up being a huge hit.  She played with this 'mouse' for about an hour.  She was one tired kitty when she finally stopped.



No comments: