Saturday, April 27, 2013

Spinning in the Sun


Today is just the kind of day I need after this week of work.  I am what my department calls a Team Lead.  There is no official job description but from what I've been able to discern, my responsibilities are very much like an administrative manager's but without the authority to approve vacations, sign timesheets, or give promotions.  Most of what I am asked to do I really do not enjoy.  Usually it isn't anything unpleasant, just mundane and annoying because of the beauracracy.  This week was an exception.  Without going into details, someone on my team has been having issues for the past several years.  To a reasonable person, his condition should qualify him for disability.  Apparently the entities that get to make that decision don't think so.  Well, let me clarify that, they agree that he has a condtion that should allow him to not work but they absolve themselves from being responsible for paying for his disability insurance.  This past week something happened to now make it that this person is at risk for getting terminated.  Management had been talking to me all week about what was going to happen.  I am no position to change the outcome. It has felt like I was watching a train wreck in slow motion. The train was able to stop before crashing but it is now sitting on a rickety, tressle bridge.  The drama isn't over, just suspended for a little while.

Getting back to today.  The sun is shining.  Birds are singing outside.  Today's plans include taking advantage of this beautiful spring day.  The hot tub is draining and will be cleaned and refilled.  A long walk is planned for later, but right now I'm going to sit in the sun room and spin.  It is such a beautiful day I might even volunteer to cut the grass.

No comments: