Saturday, June 15, 2013

Strawberry Season


This is what 14 pounds of strawberries looks like.  It took me less than an hour to pick this tray.  My back was killing me when I was finished.  From this I made 5 pints of freezer jam and a strawberry cake.  Ed and the kids ate a good portion of the berries also.  They were fantastic!


The strawberry cake was my maternal grandmother's recipe.  I had to ask my siblings for a copy of the recipe.  My sister took a photo of the recipe and emailed it to me.  It was written in my grandma's own handwriting.  My sister has the original.  I think things like that are family treasures.  The last line on the recipe is 'It's Delicious!'  Grandma was absolutely right.  I did something wrong with the icing, but it didn't detract from the cake.  Somehow it was more like a glaze when I made it, but it is supposed to be a frosting.  I might have let the butter get way too soft.

I have a long car ride coming up soon.  I dug through my bins and pulled out a couple hibernating projects.  I can't decide which one to take on the trip.  I can't remember when I started this Print O' The Wave stole.  I remember buying the yarn one summer to make a mystery shawl.  I fell behind on the clues.  Once I saw a few of the finished shawls, I decided I didn't want to continue so I frogged it.  Sometime after that I started this but it hasn't gotten very far.


Another candidate is the Pi Shawl.  This has only been hibernating a few months.   


I also have a couple socks on the needles.  They probably need frogged because I don't remember where the patterns are.


I finished spinning half of the alpaca (I think) - mohair that I got from the fiber festival a couple weeks ago.  I'll spin the rest onto another bobbin and ply then together.  Hopefully I'll get about the same yardage.


I love the halo that it has.  I'm already thinking about making a cowl out of this.



No comments: