Tom Petty Is Right

Waiting is the hardest part.

Blake submitted applications to 3 universities at the end of October.  He received acceptance letters from 2 within a couple weeks directly admitting him into their engineering programs.  Unfortunately, neither of them was his #1 choice.  Where he was hoping to go had 4 options for admissions:  directly admitted to the college of engineering, provisionally admitted to engineering, admitted to the university but not engineering and lastly not accepted at all.  We were sure he'd at least get provisionally accepted, but if that happened, he would have to make a decision.  Study at his #1 choice with the hope of getting fully admitted into engineering at the end of his first year or select one of the other two.  He was getting very anxious to hear.  Throughout January he heard other people say they received their admission letters.  Everyday he didn't hear a thing.  Until yesterday.  The acceptance offer from his #1 university stated that he was directly admitted into engineering, but not into the major he listed as his first choice.  They did accept him into his second choice major.  I asked him if he was alright with that and he said he was.  He said he actually had considered that major first before changing his preference last fall.  He is very excited and relieved.  So next fall my baby will be studying Chemical Engineering at the University of Cincinnati.  I'm very proud!!!

I'm relieved that his waiting is over.  However, I am still waiting to see if I have a contracting job with a particular state agency.  I was originally told that I would start work on January 4.  Before New Year's I was told that it was going to be pushed back a week.  That week became 2 and then 3.  Then I was told that the position had to be competitively procured, meaning I needed to interview for it along with 2 other candidates.  My interview was on Monday.  At the end of the interview I was told that a decision would be made in a day or two.  It is now Friday and I just received word from the vendor that I am trying to contract through that the agency hasn't sent any word yet and won't this week.  I can't even express my frustration.  I'm frustrated with the state agency and a bit frustrated with my vendor.  I thought the position was a sure thing but now I'm not so sure.  I haven't been looking for other work.   The proverb "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" keeps going through my head along with "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched."  I think I need to find alternative baskets for my eggs.  Next week I a going to call other vendors to see if they have anything for me.  I'm not totally giving up on this position.  I'm just tired of giving control of my life to others. 

(Side Note: it struck me this morning during a moment of particular anxiety that the feeling I was experiencing was similar to the angst I feel on an airplane.  I'm not a good passenger when there is any sort of turbulence.  After a quick self-analysis, the root cause of the angst is the same in both situations.  I'm feeling the bumpy ride and I have absolutely no control over making the situation resolve any faster.)

While I have these extra days at home, I am trying to establish a regular exercise habit.  My goal is to get at least 30 minutes of activity as recorded on my Fitbit.  Today was Day 8.   I feel much calmer now.   I know there is no reason to stress about my job situation over the weekend.  Nothing will get resolved by worrying.

Onto knitting topics. 

Kristin's infinity scarf is done.  I added about another 12 inches to the length and then grafted the ends.  It is ready for delivery to her.  She did most of the knitting.  I have to say she did a great job.

The other knitting project I want to show is a pair of gloves I made for Kristin.  After discovering my hand knit gloves in her purse I told her I would make her a pair of her own.  I used the Evil Genius' pattern.  The pattern has you knit each finger first and then attach them together and knit the hand, thumb gusset and finally cuff.  The gloves did come out fitting perfectly, but I don't think I'll do them again.  The finger joins were way too fiddly for me.  I've done gloves both ways and prefer cuff up.

It's almost Happy Hour.  I exercised earlier so I need to get a shower.  After the shower it is time for a glass of wine.