Sunday, October 30, 2016

Herdliament??

A group of cows is called a herd.  A group of owls is called a parliament.  Is a group of cowls called a herdliament?  Whatever it is called, I am creating one.

Yesterday I took a class on Tunisian crochet at Knitting Temptations.  It is a 2-part class with the second class in 2 weeks.  We are making a cowl using three of the Tunisian stitches:  Tunisian simple stitch, Tunisian purl stitch and Tunisian full stitch.  I am really loving how the piece is working up.  The bottom edge of the piece is a combination of simple stitch and purl stitch, creating a honeycomb pattern.  The center is solid full stitch.  The top edge will repeat the honeycomb pattern.


After this project is done, I'd like to make more projects with this technique, however the instructor mentioned that there really isn't much in the way of patterns for Tunisian crochet.  She wants to write some patterns to fill the void.  As I'm making the cowl I can imagine a jacket in Tunisian crochet.  The fabric is thick but has more stretch than regular crochet.  It would be something classic looking, like this Karl Lagerfeld jacket.  Maybe I should design my own.  Hmmm....

I'm making progress on the Fall Run cowl.  I passed the halfway point on the pattern.  I really love the way the colors are working up.  As much as I love it, though, I think this will be gifted at Christmas.


Another cowl is on the needles.  This is the Gift of Thistle 1 cowl from Knitty.  I plan to make two of these, one for each of my girls.  I am practicing the Portuguese knitting technique that I learned earlier this year.  The first couple rows were fiddly but I am getting the hang of it.


No comments: