Saturday, November 3, 2018

Seeking a Few Quick Wins

Sweater knitting is a commitment.  At best, a project can get done in a matter of months.  Some of my sweater projects have been lingering for years.  Sadly, some will probably never reach bind off.  But, when one does reach completion and it fits perfectly and it is soft and cuddly, it is time to celebrate.  

Introducing my Weekender!



I wore it to work on Friday.  It was a grey, rainy day and the sweater was perfect.  While taking the photos, Ed commented that it looked itchy.  It is the complete opposite.  With the knit side against my skin it is super soft.  I love it so much I'm thinking about making a second one someday.

Now that Weekender is finished, I am focusing on smaller projects.

These gloves for Blake have been hibernating for over a year.  My plan is to get these done in the next week or two.  and then stash away until Christmas.  Blake asked us to give him money to go on a trip in lieu of his birthday gift.  The cost was more than we usually spend on birthday and Christmas combined. We worked out a deal which includes no big ticket item for Christmas.  I don't want him to have nothing to open at Christmas so I'll load him up with knitwear.  A pair of slippers will accompany these gloves.


Last year at Wool Gathering I was on a mission to find a skein of yarn that mirrored autumn colors.  I found a skein from Deep Dyed Yarns that was close to what I had in mind, but wasn't perfect.  A bit later I found the perfect skein, which then became my Autumn Colors socks.  Because the leaves around here are finally turning beautiful colors, I have been thinking about that first skein of yarn that I bought.  Yesterday I decided that it needed to become a Starshower cowl.


This is the second time I've knit this pattern.  I first made one back in 2015.  It was a quick, fun project which gets  a lot of compliments every time I wear it.  What I like best is that it stays put when I put it on and lays nicely over a long sleeve t-shirt.  My plan is to have this current one done by Thanksgiving.

While I was winding the yarn for the second Starshower, I wound a couple other skeins.  It is an ambitious goal, but I'd also like to turn this skein of Destination Yarn Under the Christmas Tree into another Starshower cowl.


I also wound the skein of Baah! that our daughter's cat Nala chewed.  I was happy to see that the split was near one end.  I'm not sure what it will become.  I'll see what it whispers to me.  



But it's whispers will have to wait until after Christmas.  I have plans for projects for the girls and Ed too.



No comments: