Sunday, September 15, 2019

Four Plus Weeks To Finish

Time for a little math.

Fact:  The body of my Rhinebeck sweater is 8 inches long under the armscye.  
Fact:  The pattern calls for 12-13 inches before the ribbed hem.  (I'll probably go with 13 because I want it a bit longer.)
Fact:  The split ribbed hem is 2 inches in front and 3 inches in back.
Fact: Each sleeve will be about 14 inches.
Fact:  That is 5+2+3+14+14 = 38 inches of knitting. (Yes, I know we aren't talking the same number of stitches for each row/round, but this is how I measure progress.)
Fact:  Wet blocking will take 2-3 days; steam blocking will be only one day.
Fact:  I leave for Rhinebeck in 32 days.


Now for the math.  I prefer wet blocking.  In order to do that and have it dry before leaving on the trip, I need to finish knitting by the 29th day.  To finish in time I need to knit an average of 1.3 inches a day.  Sounds doable, but the problem is I don't knit everyday.  Since I am working full time, most of my knitting is done on the weekends.  So, my real goal is to knit 9.5 inches a week.  Using that average, here's the knitting milestones:

September 22:  Body complete, front rib complete, 2 inches of back rib complete.
September 29:  Back rib complete, 8 inches of one sleeve complete.
October 6: One sleeve complete, 3 inches of second sleeve complete.
October 13:  Knitting complete and ends woven in, soak and block.
October 16: Pack for Rhinebeck.

Other knitting cannot distract me.  The August installment of my Jimmy Beans shawl came.  I haven't finished it yet.  Two rows left, but the rows are getting long.


It'll have to wait.  Maybe it will be my car knitting, along with the September installment, when I head east.

No comments: