Sunday, September 22, 2019

Wool Gathering 2019

My friend, Cindy, and I made our annual pilgrimage to the Wool Gathering in Yellow Springs, Ohio.  This festival is held every year at Young's Dairy, a working dairy that produces the most decadent ice cream.  We drove over early to first get breakfast at the restaurant.  I had a stack of pumpkin pancakes that just screamed Autumn.  They were pumpkinny and gingery and delicious.  A gentleman came up to me and asked if they were as good as they looked.  I told him that as long as he didn't have an aversion to ginger they were fabulous.  I am going to have to try to recreate them at home.

The Wool Gathering is a festival that is very spinner oriented.  Many booths featured roving, spinning and weaving.  One booth had a wheel that I had never seen before.  This is the vendor's personal wheel.  It is a SpinOlution Bullfrog.  The wheel intrigued me because of its simple design.  The owner said her friend is a vendor and will have a booth at Vogue Knitting Live, coming to Columbus in November.  Cindy and I are already planning on being there, so I will have to check out the other models at the show.


After we walked through the vendor tents we visited with the animals in the shearing tent.  There were sheep, goat, bunnies, llamas and alpaca.  These guys were a bit agitated with the whole affair.


You can see by the look in his eye that he wasn't thrilled with crowds of people gawking at him.


My purchases were very project focused this year.  I really didn't see any random skeins that I just had to have.  I bought two patterns.  The Banksia Shawl will be used with a skein of cotton I bought several years ago from Woole's.  I need to dig through my stash to find it and put the yarn and the pattern together.

I also bought the pattern for Love Note.  I saw Christina of Chealsea Purls wearing one.  It was lovely.  I don't have any yarn in mind for this yet.  I just wanted to make sure I had this in my library.


One vendor was selling ecoprinted t-shirts.  I just loved how this one looked.


Destination Yarn was at the festival this year.  Jeanne had bundles to make the Birds of a Feather shawl by Andrea Mowry.  I bought the bundle in the Valencia colorway.  Cindy bought one in a blue colorway.  We are going to have our own Knit Along to make these.


Tegna has been in my queue for a while.  I did buy some green yarn during the I-75 yarn shop hop to make it but I found these lovely skeins that I want to use also.  I just hope these two skeins will be enough.  I think I'll make the green version first so that I can see what kind of yardage I need for the sweater.


I couldn't leave the festival without some roving.  This top of polwarth and silk will be dream to spin.


A vendor in the animal tent had fiber from their animals.  This Merino lamb was impossible to pass up.  It is so soft and dreamy.  I can see this turning into a cowl and mitts.


Also while in the Wolle's booth, I pickup up some of her cotton/silk to make into the Sea Salt sweater by Laura Aylor.  The vendor only had 3 skeins left with her.  She's going to mail me the other ones once she gets back to her shop.


My final purchase to share is  a Roly-Poly project bag from the YarnByrds truck.  The chickadee has a special place in my heart.  When I as very young, about 5 years of age, I helped my dad make a bird house.  He called chickdees 'spitzies' and always said it was my spitzy house.  Whenever I see a chickadee I think about my dad.  He was the best dad.  I miss him.  Physically I resemble my mom, but my personality is more like my dad's.  Funny how genetics works.




No comments: