Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Autumn Knitting

The hot weather is finally gone and autumn is here.  Last Friday, after having my annual physical, I went to the store and bought the ingredients for my favorite soup, beef barley vegetable.  It simmered in the slow cooker all afternoon and made the house smell wonderful!  It was so good!!!


Over the weekend we lit the fireplace for the first time of the season.


Great ambiance for a little knitting.  The autumnal colors of my Papillon shawl fit the mood perfectly.


Knitting was the theme for this weekend since Vogue Knitting LIVE was in town.  My friend and I browsed the Market on Friday.  Saturday morning I took a class from Xandy Peters called 'Knit Your Own Adventure'.   It was a techniques class on how to incorporate random colors, textures, stitch motifs, etc. into your knitting.  Definitely not a beginner class.  And not for someone who needs exact directions.  I found the class fun and interesting.  I have a few ideas about how I'm going to apply what I learned, but I need to finish a few projects first.  Below is my test knit from the class where I practiced using a random number generator for color work.  Because I used a slightly higher number as my upper limit, some of my colors pooled.  Xandy recommended
lowering the number spread to get more randomness in the work.


On Sunday, my friend and I both took a brioche class from Michelle Lee Bernstein.  We have done straight brioche before, but never had done increases or decreases.   Another fun class.  Once I get the class project done, I'll have a cute hat to wear.  I love this pattern so much, I'm tempted to buy more of the yarn and make a cowl to match.  The yarn was purchased Friday at Market from a vendor named 29 Bridges Studio.  The light is called Sugar Cookie and the dark is Aubergine, both in their Merino Worsted base.  It is wonderful yarn to use.



Now that the weather is cooler and the time has fallen back, the evenings are dark and cozy.  I think tonight might be a good night to snuggle under a blanket, drink a little wine (not too much because I have to work in the morning) and watch a little television.  I'm tired so I foresee an early bedtime.




No comments: