Sunday, November 17, 2019

Entering the Busiest Time of the Year

November is the start of the busiest time of the year.  Two of my three children have birthdays this month, we always host my in-laws for Thanksgiving and preparations for Christmas begins.

I finished the Pastiche Brioche hat from my Vogue Knitting Live class.   I love how it turned out.  Trisha said she also likes it and placed an order for one. She wants one in green tones.  It will be her Christmas knitted gift. Last week I purchased the yarn for her hat and wound the skeins the other day.  I should be able to get this done in no time.


I am hoping to get the Papillon shawl done by Thanksgiving.  I'm 2 1/2 sections away from the bind off.  It'll be close.  Stay tuned for future progress reports. 


Can't remember if I mentioned that I am also working on the Audition shawl from Michelle Hunter.  This is her last KAL.  I wasn't able to keep up with the clues, but I have downloaded the entire pattern so I'll be able to finish this.  The pattern is easy and works well for car knitting or mindless television knitting.  I have not deadline in mind so this will get set aside soon to make way for Christmas knitting.


I refer to this time of year as 'the season of eating'.  It all begins with our friends' Slava.  A Slava is a celebration commemorating the feast day of a family's patron saint.  This tradition is held by Serbian Orthodox Catholics.  My friend Vera and her family have St. George as their patron saint, whose feast day is November 16.  Each year she and her husband host a huge dinner party.  The food is always awesome,  complete with sarma (Serbian cabbage rolls), smoked pork and lamb, Russian potato salad (don't ask why it is called Russian since it's a Serbian event), other smoked meats and cheeses, ajvar (roasted red pepper spread - pronounced 'Eye-var' - my favorite), breads and lots of desserts.  

When we went to the Slava last night, I wore one of my shawls.  It is a crocheted shawl named Jenny's Faith.  I found one of the pins that had been my mom's and realized it matched perfectly.  It was a special accessory for a special celebration with one of my best friends.

Next event will be Thanksgiving.  Time to start thinking about the game plan.  The menu doesn't change but I always have to plan out the cooking schedule.   I'm not sure I'll have any of the kids home early enough to help me with the preparations I do earlier in the week.  I'll plan it that way and if any of them come home earlier than expected, I'll just have an extra set of hands to help.  Win-win!


No comments: