Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Good Day For....

...kale, tomato, red pepper and onion crust less quiche. Kale has become my latest great discovery.  I had never tried it until a few weeks ago.  A soup recipe called for kale.  I was a little hesitant to try it because it has a cabbage smell when raw.  But after being cooked, I found that the cabbage smell is less.  I made a crust less quiche with the kale I didn't put in the soup and some onion and tomato I had on hand.  My son Blake loved the quiche and ate it as an after-school snack.  He asked me to make it again, but suggested I add red peppers.  This morning I made a larger batch with the peppers.  This should be enough to last us a few days as breakfasts.  This with a piece of toast topped with homemade blueberry jam is definitely a power breakfast!


...starting block #2 of Trisha's college afghan.  The college application process is winding down.  Trisha has submitted three applications and has one more planned.  Acceptance letters should start arriving in about a month.  I can't believe that she will be heading off to college in less than a year.  This blanket will let her know that her mommy loves her and wishes she could wrap her in hugs all the time.


...working on a pair of hunting socks for Ed.  This is my first homespun.  Around the time I bought my first drop spindle, I purchased two wheels of pencil roving from a LYS.  The wheel had about 1500 yards of roving.  I spun the first wheel and chain plied it.  It is now becoming a pair of socks for Ed.  I have started spinning the second wheel just in case I don't have enough for the pair of socks. The wool is coarse.  He will have to wear a softer pair of socks as a lining.  This isn't a problem because he says he wears three pairs of socks when he hunts.  I told him that he is not allowed to put these socks in the washer.  They must be hand washed.  I told him I would do it for him.  I don't want these to meet the same fate as the sweater I knit of him.


...knitting socks for me.  I frogged the Thelonius socks and started a pair of basic socks for myself.  I'm in serious trouble if I get lost doing 2x2 rib.  This is my take-along project.  It fits perfectly in the bag I carry to work.  A few rounds on my lunch hour helps make the day brighter.



No comments: