Saturday, May 6, 2017

May Didn't Get the Memo

April showers bring May flowers.

Yeah!  Right!  Sure!  When the showers don't stop at the end of April, they bring cold, damp, dreary May.  That's how the weather has been the first week of May in Ohio.  I am being a bit dramatic.  I do have flowers.  But I'm not sure if they will survive.  The weatherman mentioned the possibility of frost tonight.  And I may have jumped the gun and planted my tomatoes and peppers outside already.  Keeping my fingers crossed that they all make it through the night.



The dreary weather has been perfect for getting some sewing done, along with the fact that Blake is now home for the summer and has been borrowing my car quite a bit.  Last Saturday I worked on a few quilting projects.

First, I made the April and May blocks for my groups' Block of the Month.   The patterns come in two sizes, crib and twin, so I decided that I'd do one of each.  The April block is a four-patch and the May is a modified nine-patch.

The crib size quilt is going to be made out of pastels.


The twin size is going to be made out of bold colors.


After those were complete, I pulled out the pieces for Blake's quilt, which I never finished.  I now have the top complete and have to decide about the quilting.  I can't decide if I want to do it myself or contract it out.  My hesitation with doing it myself is because I seem to always have trouble with yarn tension.  I want the quilting to be stippling, but I have never mastered that technique.


He heads back to school in August.  I'll give myself this month of May to think about what I want to do.  Maybe I'll muster up some courage.




No comments: