Saturday, July 27, 2019

Knitting Progress Has Slowed

My progress on knitting projects has slowed considerably.  The reason:  I got called back to work.

The state budget was signed on Thursday, July 18.  A message went out that all contractors could return either Friday or Monday.  I decided to go in for a while on Friday to just make Monday easier.  I got through my emails and checked on the status of some work that was in progress when I left in June.  Maybe Monday was easier, but it was still very, very difficult to get up when the alarm went off at 5:30 am.

As I mentioned, knitting progress has slowed.  I'm not getting time every day like I did over the break.  My LYS has a knit along for the Papillon shawl.  During break I was able to go the the Tuesday afternoon sessions.  Now that I'm back at work I'm going to the Wednesday evening sessions.  If I get a section done each week at the KAL and at least one section done over the weekend, I'll have this done by mid-September.  My hope/plan is to have this done by October to take along on my Rhinebeck trip.  My sisters and I might catch a Broadway play while we are together for the weekend.  I want to take this along with me to the theater.


Did I mention that while I was home for three weeks, Squeaks was my shadow?  She followed me everywhere I went in the house.  Don't tell Ed, but I also let her in the bedroom while I was sorting through my clothes.  She explored all the nooks and crannies of the room and then found a spot under a table to watch me.  Now she seems to be mad at me.  It might be because I'm not home all day with her.  Or it may be because I got rid of her favorite chair.  Whatever the reason, she is taking her revenge on my yarn.  I can't leave anything exposed.  She immediately wants to play with any yarn or knitting I have out.


I turned the heal on the Uneek socks I'm working.  This is the first time I've done a short row heel.  It was a lot faster than a gusset heel, but I'm not sure how it will hold up.  Only time will tell.  I thought about doing an afterthought heel, but I was not sure how to measure the foot to start the toe.  I decided to just do a short row heel on this pair so that I can get an idea of the fit.  This pair will be a reference for when I decide to do an afterthought heel.


The Hamilton sweater is coming along.  I finished the front yoke and have joined under the arms.  Now the piece is worked until the ribbing.  This is coming along nicely.  I think this will get done by the end of September, in time for its debut at Rhinebeck.


I wasn't 100% thrilled with this yarn that I got from the Knit Picks sale.  It was close to the color I wanted, but a little more muted than what I wanted.  I also was sure I wanted a tweed.  Now that it is coming together, I'm falling in love with it.  I think this yarn will not pill like the yarns I used for Weekender and my green raglan pullover.  Squeaks approves of the yarn too.


No comments: