Wednesday, March 25, 2020

It's 6am and I've Been Up For 3 Hours

Yep.  Another night of very little sleep.  Not the best thing for a body that is trying to regain its health. It's been hard to find a position that induces sleep without also inducing a coughing fit.

Yep.  That's right.  I've been sick.  Ed has too, but he's better.  In fact I haven't heard him cough all night.  That is a first in 2 weeks.  I'm glad he isn't coughing anymore.  His coughs are ear-piercingly loud, followed by a stream of throat-clears.

Me?  I've been sick for a week.  Dry cough.  Low fever.  Is it Coronavirus?  Don't know.  Neither of us have been tested.  It's possible.  It's also possible that it is not.

I thought I would be tested on Monday.  While Ed had only a cough and no detectable temperature, my symptoms were slightly more severe. I've had a low fever with my cough.  I also developed a burning sensation in my chest.  After a call to my doctor, I went to the emergency room for a chest X-ray.  Three hours later, and after an EKG, chest X-ray, influenza test and blood draw, I was sent home with no confirmed diagnosis and told to continue doing what I had been doing:  rest, fluids, Tylenol for the fever and cough medicine when needed.  Oh, and the burning sensation is probably just acid reflux from coughing so hard, which is what I thought it was when I called my doc.  

Back to the question Is it Coronavirus?  Probably, but they didn't test me in the ER because I was not deemed worthy.  While I had the symptoms, I don't have other factors that put me in a higher classification.  The tests are being saved for the high risk cases.  They need to do that in case the number of cases spike like everyone fears.

So here I sit at the computer, drinking my tea and finishing the banana pancakes I made myself.  It's too early to log into my computer for work.  And besides, I don't feel like working just yet.

Working from home is OK.  It has it's perks.  I don't need to put on make-up and spend an hour of my day in the car.  I can wear my pajamas if I want and have music on in the background if I wish.  But there is also a downside.  I spend the day looking at all the things I need to do around the house and still don't have the time to do any of them.  And it isn't making things any easier by seeing all these people on social media doing all sorts of craft projects.  When I'm done working I'm still as exhausted as I was when I went into the office.  (Right about now my husband would be making a comment like 'Boy!  You have it rough'.)  I know I have nothing to complain about.  But like I said, it's 6 am and I've been up for 3 hours.

I just want to feel healthy again.  I'm tired of feeling sick and tired.  Once I know I'm over this I'm going to take a long walk outside.  Not doing it now because I don't want to come into contact with anyone and pass along my germs.

Well, I could go on about how the quarantine is going or what my opinion of this whole thing is, but I'll save that for another time.  Maybe tomorrow, if I wake again at 3 am.  

No comments: