Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Pre-Quarentine Summary


It's been a month since my last post, and what a month it has been.  There were two trips, a birthday and a complete upheaval of life as we know it.

At the end of February, Kristin and I went to Austin to scope out housing.  We spent two days driving all over the town, visiting apartment complexes and houses for rent.  It is too soon for her to sign a lease, but she did narrow down her choices.  In a month or so, she should be able to select a place.  The above picture was taken from the Oasis Taproom, overlooking Lake Travis west of Austin.  Good beer, warm weather and beautiful sunset.

Three days after coming from that trip I was on the road again, this time with Ed.  We headed out on a cruise.  We were scheduled to sail to Puerto Rico, Tortola and St. Maarten.  Bad weather caused a cancellation of Tortola.  I spent my birthday on St. Maarten.  And the US COVID-19 outbreak made the last few days of the trip extremely stressful.  I'll skip the details.  Let's just leave it at I'm very glad to be home and pray fervently that the disease and the rampant panic subsides soon.

Now that we are home, Ed and I are working from home for a few weeks.  After two days of chaos, I now have the right access set up so that I can do my job from my kitchen table.  I think I'm going to like working in my pajamas and slippers, with not worrying about my hair and make-up.

I'm going to count yesterday as Day 1 of our 'quarantine'.  Ed stayed home all day, but I had to venture out to get my work laptop from a remote location.  I was not allowed to go to the office because was in a panic over my cruise.

This morning (Day 2), Ed and I woke up early and hit the grocery store just as they opened. I should say 'stores' because we the one we usually shop at was  almost barren.  The second store had quite a bit on their shelves still. We stocked up enough to keep us in for at least a week or two now.  Since we potentially have been exposed, we wanted to make sure we wouldn't need to go out.  But I want to assure you we aren't hoarding food, sanitizing wipes or toilet paper.  A trip to Costco back in February replenished our TP supply, we only bought what we thought we would eat and there wasn't a single wipe to be found in the stores.

Time now to sign off, do a little knitting and say my prayers.

No comments: