Sunday, April 19, 2020

Micromanagement

Another week of work from home is over.  This was week 5.  My self-appointed boss constantly checks up on me to make sure I am keeping on task.  The micromanagement is becoming unbearable.  It's like having a toddler.  I can't even go to the bathroom without the boss following me.   I swear she is magical.  If Ed or I open the pantry door, she's right there, materializing out of nowhere.  And she's not above blackmail.  She claims she'll report us to upper management for taking an unscheduled break if we don't give her a treat.  It's horrible.  She's a real catty bitch!


To help with the stress of isolation, I decided to make some comfort food out of leftover Easter ham.  I attempted to reproduce Mom's ham salad.  It was close but not quite right.  Part of the problem I think was the ham.  We ate a spiral sliced ham.  Mom always cooked a whole ham.  My ham salad was a bit sweet, probably from the glaze.  My younger sister also said it probably needed a little onion, which I did not put in.  There will be another attempt.  Maybe not with this ham, but with the next.  I still have plans for split pea soup with the remaining leftover ham.


I am knitting a gauge swatch for a summer sweater and needed to find some empty US 6 needles.  Down in the basement, I came across a couple long hibernating UFOs.  This is Heat Wave that I was knitting out of some alpaca my sister spun for me ages ago. Digging through old posts it looks like I started this in October 2011, right before my dad passed away.  I remember knitting on this while sitting with Mom at the house.  I remember her commenting that it looked like it was going to be pretty.  I'm sorry I never finished it in time for her to see it.  It went into the hibernation bin because the pattern is quite difficult.  Now that I have it out, I'll try to slowly work on it.  Maybe someday I'll get it done.


Last post I promised a picture of the Discovery shawl.  Here is the finished front and the cast on edge of the back.  With the telecommuting I'm doing these days, I knit a little of this during online meetings where I mainly listen.  I can get 3-4 rows done during each of my team's daily scrum.


Probably like other people I am attempting different culinary things.  The other night I found a pie crust that was coming close to its expiration date and some apples.  I attempted some baked apples.  These aren't the prettiest things in the world but they were yummy with some ice cream.


I have been trying a few other culinary adventures.  This morning I made scones and I have a jar of sourdough starting bubbling away on the kitchen counter.  Later this week I'll try sourdough pizza crust.  Ed's not a fan of sourdough bread, but maybe if its pizza crust he won't mind too much.

No comments: