Sunday, January 17, 2010

Not Boeuf Bourguignon But Still Yummy


Just finished watching 'Julie and Julia'. It seems that Julia Child's premier recipe was Boeuf Bourguignon. I'm not attempting that at the moment, but we are having beef stew for dinner. Maybe someday I'll try her recipe just to see how it compares.

My sister Patty gifted everyone in the family with knitted items. Blake got a hat that he absolutely loves. It covers his ears so it keeps him warm when he walks home from school. And he said he likes the teal blue color. The other day he asked me if I could make a pair of gloves and a scarf to go with it. He specifically wanted me to match the color. Since the hat was made from Patty's homespun, I wasn't sure I'd be able to find anything to match. Luckily, Knitter's Mercantile had a few things that I thought might work.

For the scarf I'm combining a strand of Plymouth Yarn Suri Merino in color 2283 (teal) with a strand of Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine in color 1293 (brown). I'm doing a 3x3 rib over 27 stitches on size 8 needles. I think it'll will match nicely.



The gloves will be made from Classic Elite Yarns Alpaca Sox in color 1831 (teal) stranded with the Ultra Alpaca left over from the scarf.  I'll have to make a gauge swatch since I'm combining yarns.  I've never made gloves before.  We'll see how stitching in the round over a small number of stitches goes.

No comments: