Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas Holiday

Christmas this year had a different feel.  Last Christmas was shortly after my dad passed away.  All of my siblings and I, plus our families, were together.  It was, in a sense, a joyous time.  We were still in the mode of celebrating life and love.  It felt like Dad was with us.  This year was not that way.  Not everyone was able to be together.  The mood was more subdued.  It just felt like there was a void.  I wasn't the only one who noticed this.  One of my sisters said she felt it also.  Usually the party on Christmas night is quite lively with a lot of food and beverages consumed.  This was the year of moderation.  Even the basement where the kids (now mostly teenagers and early 20-somethings) didn't look like a bomb of games and wrapping paper exploded.  Who knows why it was this way?  This past year had more than it's share of grief and sorrow, both within our own lives and in the news. There are divisions in the family now that weren't apparent last year.  And, as I said, we weren't all together.  Another one of my sisters and her husband weren't able to travel to Ohio this year.  Don't get me wrong.  We all did enjoy ourselves and celebrated the birth of Jesus.  I guess they all can't feel the same.  Here are a few pictures.


I don't know why this one won't display portrait.




The kids and I are back at home now.  We woke up this morning to a thick blanket of snow.  It is very pretty outside.  Perfect day for snuggling on the couch, knitting and watching college football bowl games.


I'll be finishing up Trisha's scarf.  She is out of town today at a wrestling tournament.  She keeps the stats for the team.  This should be done by the time she comes home later tonight.


I used one of my Christmas presents.  The girls gave me a couple books, including this one. 


I used one of the decorative cast on methods for a cowl I'm making.  It was the Channel Island cast on.  I think it made a very pretty edge.  I'm going to try to do a bind off that mimics this.  I haven't decided if the cowl is for me or for a friend.  We'll see once I get it finished, which I hope will be this weekend.  I'm using two colors of Anny Blatt Lady Blatt.  I didn't think I had enough of either color to make the entire cowl, so I decided to edge it in the darker color.  It reminds me of hot chocolate with a melted marshmallow in it.  Perfect for a wintery day.


No comments: