Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pug Parts and Salvaging Blueberries

There wasn't much knitting time this past week.  The big project at work is nearing completion.  This weekend is the migration to production work.  If things go according to the schedule, I will have to work 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Sunday.  On Monday and Tuesday, I'll have to be in the office by 6:00 am.  I'm not entirely convinced the schedule will hold.  During the last two dress rehearsals, my shift on Sunday was much longer than 5 hours and went into the wee hours of Monday.

The only pug parts knit this week was an arm and the hood of the sweater.  After I sign off here, I'm going to dig through my sewing room to see if I have stuffing.  This project is turning out to be a fairly easy project.  The only issue I am having is the first increase row of each body part.  The pattern calls for a cast on row and then one purl row.  The next row involves significant increases.  I'm doing my increases as Make 1 by lifting the yarn from the previous row onto the left needle and knitting through the back loop.  This is proving to be a bit fussy because the ladder yarn from the previous row is hard to find.  But the end result looks good.  I grabbed a skein of Cascade 220 out of the stash for the sweater.  It is turning out very lovely.  The only other time I've knit with Cascade was my daughter's blanket.  I really ought to use it more.  It is a dream to work with.  I'll admit, I am in love with this red color.  Maybe that is the true source of the love.


On Saturday mornings I like to make something a bit more involved for breakfast.  My choices are not always appealing to my family though.  I have some picky eaters in the house.  Today's breakfast was one of those meals.  I had a pint of blueberries that were past their prime.  I had to do something with them today or else I'd be tossing the entire pint.  These are Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes.  I found the recipe through Pinterest.  The original recipe is from The New York Times and calls for buttermilk.  I never have buttermilk on hand so I just sour regular milk with lemon juice or vinegar.  For this recipe I used lemon juice since lemon compliments blueberries.  The recipe made over a dozen pancakes.  I absolutely love them and they are filling.  They are full of healthy ingredients including blueberries, oatmeal and whole wheat flour.  A couple fill me up and keep me full all morning.  These leftover pancakes are getting wrapped and put in the freezer.  They are easy to reheat in the microwave for workday breakfasts.  Below is the recipe if you are interested in making these yourself.  (Don't let my photography turn your off.  I'm not very good at staging food.)


Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes
Yields about a dozen pancakes

1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. milk
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbl. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 Tbl. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

In a small bowl combine rolled oats and 1/2 c. milk.  Set aside to let the oats absorb some of the milk and soften.  

In a liquid measure, combine 1 1/2 c. milk and lemon juice.  Set aside to allow milk to thicken.

In a large bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, thickened milk and vanilla.  Pour all liquid ingredients into bowl with the flour mixture and stir until just blended.  Fold in blueberries.  Allow the batter to sit while the griddle is heating.

Heat a griddle to medium high and lightly spray.  Use 1/4 c measure to pour batter on hot griddle.  

Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.


No comments: