Saturday, February 1, 2014

Halfway Through Winter

Today's paper had an article that stated that this winter hasn't been as bad as it feels.  We've had the coldest temperatures in over 20 years and more than normal snowfall.  However, the statistics show that we are not at record breaking levels for the most part.  One day in January set a record for the coldest temperature on that date. I really don't care what the statistics say.  It is cold and I'm getting tired of it.  I do like winter, but this year is a bit too much for me.

One thing the statistics can't refute is that we've had some rare phenomena.  This was the first time I had ever heard of a Polar Vortex. I'm sure it has happened in the past, but it was never called that name.  Another phenomenon, which I had heard of but never seen, is snow rollers.   Last Sunday night we had high winds. On Monday snow rollers were everywhere.  

This one was in my side yard.  It was a lonely, single one.


This one was in a field along the road.


It was not so lonely.


I was a little obsessive about them.  As I drove to and from work I would try to spot new ones.  It was a fun game while it lasted.  Thursday was sunny, which melted off a few, and then yesterday went above freezing.  Today's forecast is calling for temperatures in the mid 40s F with rain.  That will take care of any remaining snow rollers.

Speaking of obsessing, I am totally enthralled with the scarf I started in the Navajo knitting class.  Here it is.


It is about 18 inches long.  I'm not quite halfway through the ball of yarn.  The instructor said that the scarf when finished should be long enough to wrap twice around the neck.  I can't wait to get it done.  It is really keeping my interest.  I hope to have it done by Valentine's Day.  A very doable goal at this rate.

Here is a close up of the texture.


The color red is appropriate for February.  Not only is Valentine's Day in February, but February is also Heart Health Month.  The color red has been adopted for this campaign. The ripples of this scarf remind me of heart beats.  Appropriate, I would say.

No comments: