Sunday, July 10, 2016

Filling My Days With Fiber

My purchase order hasn't yet been renewed, so I'm still on hiatus from work.  I will definitely have to Monday off so I'm going to take care of some business.  My brother mentioned that he needs all of the siblings to sign some papers regarding our parents' estate.  A road trip to Cincinnati is on the docket for Monday.  I might add a stop or two at some yarn shops or the IKEA store.  We'll see what I'm in the mood for when I go.

The linen top is slowly coming along.  I had planned to have this completed for an anticipated trip to Norris Lake.  But that trip has fallen through and with it my motivation to work on this.  I won't let this go into hibernation though.  There is another project I want to start but I've vowed to not cast on before  this is complete.  Given my track record, we'll see if I stick to that plan.


Blake is getting excited about going off to college.  His excitement has motivated me to get back to his afghan.  I'm just past the halfway mark.  The red stripes will now outnumber the blue.  I'm getting a little worried about having enough yarn.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't run out a couple rows shy of the end.


Along with Blake's afghan I'm making him a quilt.  The colors for the University of Cincinnati are black and red.  This will be big enough to cover his bed in the dorm.  I'm going to try a quilt-as-you-go technique.  This technique allows you to quilt smaller sections of a quilt at a time as you are assembling the blocks.  It helps to break up the monotony of the quilting.  I have sections of blocks completed and am ready to begin the quilting.  But before I work on this I am going to practice on something smaller.  My quilt group makes doll bed quilts for a local charity.  I'll make a few mini quilts for that while I get the hang of the technique.



No comments: